Our traditional camp facility in Chesterfield County is the perfect place for your camper to create once-in-a-lifetime memories!
About Camp Thunderbird
Established in 1966, YMCA Camp Thunderbird boasts breathtaking natural beauty while providing a structured camp environment full of all the amenities a camper could ever want. One hundred acres of pristine woods encompass six-acre Lake George and many camp attractions including swimming pools, rustic cabins, trails and more!
Registration begins January 1 for YMCA Members; January 15 for non-members.
WHAT activites ARE AVAILABLE?
Camp Thunderbird is a place where campers have fun and parents find an environment that will help their children grow in spirit, mind, and body. Our activities are designed to provide campers with an exciting, safe, and enriching summer experience that is appropriate to their age, interests and abilities. DISCOVER YOUR BEST SELF this summer at Camp Thunderbird Day Camp!
- Camp Arts: creative arts, camp songs & skits, music, drama and dance
- Outdoor Education: outdoor education, hiking, fort building, fishing
- Adventure: canoeing, alpine tower, giant swing, dual zip lines, aqua zip line, biking, marksmanship, archery, STEM, low ropes
- Character Development: character bead necklaces, reading, devotions, opening/closing council, leadership development
- Sports: court sports, volleyball, field sports, swimming
- Open Activities: gaga ball, backyard games, themed unit activities, 9 Square, Jewel Pit
HEALTH PRECAUTIONS FOR SUMMER CAMP PROGRAMS
Our summer camp programs allow for kids to enjoy themselves in the outdoors and camp facilities, while also adhering to the latest guidelines and recommendations from the CDC and Virginia Department of Health.
For more information about our camp procedures regarding COVID-19, please visit our Parents Guide to Camp page.
We Pick Up & Drop Off FREE of Charge!
YMCA Camp Thunderbird is truly a unique experience and we want to serve as many kids as possible. We provide FREE bus stops throughout the Greater Richmond Community.